free stats

Ravenous Readers

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Let's read and decide...


Hello again, Ravenous Readers! Thanks to everyone who participated in the conversations about "The Jane Austen Book Club" and please feel free to continue to comment on questions as long as you like*.

Your reading assignment, should you choose to accept it is:

"The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America" by Erik Larson

Remember, we read in April and discuss beginning May 1 (or there-abouts). Would anyone else like to do the discussion primer? I'll be happy to do it again if no one volunteers. If someone does volunteer, don't worry, I promise to contribute questions (you don't have to come up with a ton on your own if you don't want to). Volunteer through a comment or e-mail.

Now is also the time to make suggestions about the June/July reading selection. Please leave a comment with your nomination and I will post a poll to determine the next selection (or two, if we like) once we have some contenders...

Thanks for all the fun, ladies!


*Sorry that I haven't made more comments myself in response to your thoughtful words. I plan to do so still, but in the midst of moving preparations I've been a little distracted...

4 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com, at 4:01 AM  

  • Yay!! I'm excited about this book; it's about Chicago. My hometown. :)

    Can I still volunteer to do the primer or did someone else beat me to the punch?

    By Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com, at 4:03 AM  

  • Stolie - the primer is all yours!

    By Blogger MamaChristy, at 7:36 PM  

  • MC, thanks again for all your work making JABC come together. I really enjoyed everyone's comments. And, Stolie, I can't wait to see how you take us through "Devil and the White City." V. exciting!

    I nominate "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides for June/July. I've had three people in the past two weeks tell me I need to read this, and I guess I'm going to have to do it. One told me, "It's the best book about a schizophrenic transexual I've ever read." (I'm not making this up. She really said that.)

    Read more at:
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=0312422156&itm=1

    In a related matter, might I recommend "The Boy Who Was Raised As a Girl." (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=0060929596&itm=2) I'm not necessarily proposing it for the club -- it's a non-fiction, though it actually might work -- but i read it some years ago and it has haunted me ever since. It's fascinating. And it does bring up a lot of hot-button issues that might be club-worthy too.

    Anyway, that's my 74 cents worth ...

    By Blogger JenniNapa, at 6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home