free stats

Ravenous Readers

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Looking ahead

Throughout the book, Shields is achingly honest about the apathy and sometimes dislike she felt for her daughter while struggling with PPD. As she found a good medication and underwent therapy, she talks about how that changes and how her love for her daughter became everything she ever hoped and more. But, if you were Rowan, Brooke's daughter, how do you think it would affect your relationship to read this book as an adult? At what age do you think a child can understand a mom's ambivalence, if ever? It's PC to say Rowan will be proud of her mom for being honest and helping other women -- and she probably will be -- but do you think that will be totally true, or will she be hurt in some ways as well?

2 Comments:

  • Having suffered from PPD myself, I can relate to some of what Brooke went through. And deep down I think (hope) I know that it was not my fault that I had the feelings that I did. But, to so bluntly say that you felt absolutely no connection with your child (I didn't have that problem), wanted nothing to do with her, not to mention the other things she put so bluntly, in a book, for her daughter to read...... I don't know, I can't see how you could not consider that your daughter will be heart-broken. I think that when Rowan becomes a teenager, let's say 14, and reads this book for the first time, she is going to be very hurt. Yes, it wasn't Brooke fault, and yes she did the right thing by seeking help, etc, and everything changed once she sought help, but still - a teenage girl might not understand that part of it. She may not understand that PPD really is a medical condition. She may not believe that there was no way for her mother to prevent it. Either way, I think it will break her heart initially.
    Yes, she will eventually be proud of her mother for having the courage to not only fight the PPD, but to tell her story so other women would know they are not alone. But I think she will first go through a period of anger and question her relationship with her mother.

    By Blogger PCOSMama, at 10:35 PM  

  • I think that being 14 will be difficult for Rowan, no matter what, unfortuantely. Although she'll be able to read the words that her mom wrote, I think that without the book, she would somehow know that something had been wrong at some point and not understand it. I personally think being open is never a bad idea in the long run.

    That said, I think the good that this book will do will ultimately outweigh the hurt that Brooke and Rowan will go through later on.

    By Blogger Kate, at 8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home