free stats

Ravenous Readers

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Brought to you by the letter “X”

ET – this one’s for you. My work week has been viciously busy, so wham! – I got 2 minutes of quiet this afternoon and found myself chomping at the bit to do something. At which point the dictionary in my bookcase caught my eye. We flirted from across the room for a few minutes while I pondered disturbing the cat who had taken residence in my lap (Fat Cat does NOT like to be disturbed; I have the scars to prove it). Well, my leg was falling asleep anyway (hey, she's 18 pounds), so I finally braved the wrath of the claws and flipped through the entire 7 (yes, SEVEN) pages of the dictionary that contain our old friends X, Y and Z.

First of all in the “X” section, there about 20 words to choose from. And that includes “x-mas”, “x-axis” and “x-chromosome”. Is it just me, or does that seem like cheating?

Second – after this discovery I’d like to trade in my XYZ encyclopedia for something different. If I’m going to be stuck on a deserted island with a 7 page book I am going to get bored fast.

Anyway, I’ve picked out my favorite (lack of options here): Xerophilous. Actually, I really just like the way it’s pronounced. Zir-rof-o-lus. Kind of sounds like “metropolis.” It means: Flourishing in or able to withstand a dry hot environment.

So I DON’T have a black thumb…I just don’t buy xerophilous plants.

Hmm, I have the sudden urge to watch Sesame Street.

How’s the reading coming?

6 Comments:

  • Thanks so much for thinking of me!!! LOL.... yes I agree that x-chromosome is cheating...so does that mean that would be a "valid" word in a scrabble game? I always use exit if I get the X.

    18 pound cat -- whowwwie I would not want to wake that one up either....


    I'm kind of stuck with the reading - it's plodding - any suggestions...?

    Cheers all!

    By Blogger E, at 5:21 PM  

  • Plodding, eh? I plan to start reading it tonight, as I just got it in the mail yesterday. I have no idea what it's about and have also never read any Jane Austen, so we'll see. :)
    I may have to check back and see if anyone does put suggestions if I find it plods along as well.
    ~kelli

    By Blogger mamashine, at 8:00 PM  

  • Having lived in the Old South as well as Florida and California, I'm always been a bit xerophilous.

    Does that work? :)

    I've only started reading the book recently. I, too, have never read any of Austen's work. In the final pages of the book, there are brief synopsis of each of her books.

    By Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com, at 10:07 AM  

  • I'm with Elaine: it's plodding. That is the perfect way to describe it so far. I will keep reading and hope that something happens soon... Read! Even if you don't like it, READ! It's more fun that way... :)

    By Blogger MamaChristy, at 11:07 AM  

  • I read a review that said this book is the perfect introduction to Jane Austen if you've never read any. So do you recommend that I read the synopses in the back, or try to go along awhile without them and see what I get out of it?

    By Blogger mamashine, at 12:35 PM  

  • ok, I feel better knowing I'm not "the only one"... mamachristy - don't worry - I'll keep plodding along... (pun intended)

    By Blogger E, at 5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home